Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The first Salk post...

So, I said that I would try to post every other day at Salk, and that has proven to be a bit difficult. I don't get internet in the room that I am in...and I am worn out when the day is over.

I have some time this morning to post because currently I am filling in for the person that runs the Runner's desk (like the central command station for getting supplies out to all the sites) so I am going to take a little time, while it is still quiet on the radios (and of course as I type this the radio calls start...) and explain a little about Salk.

I think that some of the first posts on this blog, which date back to last year, are about last year's Salk, or perhaps it is now two years ago, not exactly sure. But at any rate, Salkehatchie Summer Service is a United Methodist Church ran outreach program that I have been going to for 6 years now. Each summer, hundreds of youth and adults from around the states of South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and now some of Florida volunteer to go to a different part of the state and help build/repair housing for underprivileged families. This is a wonderful experience and perhaps the thing that I will remember most about my childhood.

And so, I am making a documentary this year about the Salkehatchie experience. Filming did go pretty well yesterday, and while I have a lot of filming left to do before this thing becomes a movie, I think that I am on the right path.

I don't really have much more to say, I am working on some stuff, but nothing is ready to go up yet, and I don't know if things will be ready by Friday (the last day of camp) but we will see. If I get something worth blogging about, then I will do so, but otherwise, next post will be back at home!

-joshua

1 comment: