Saturday, September 25, 2010

Assignments for Student Media

This week's first blog post (which really should have been last week's, but it was a really busy week) is mainly just some assignments that I had for yearbook and the newspaper. Unfortunately most of these stories didn't run (something you have to deal with in the world of newspaper) but I still had a good time taking these photos.

These first two stories are from a story that I didn't expect to run because it wasn't assigned (we didn't know about it and it happened on a Friday, so even if we ran it it would have been a week late) but I thought it was a cool story and wanted to take pictures of it. I was pretty happy with the two shots that I got.

This was the "safe shot" that I got. One thing that I have been noticing this year is that I have been thinking about photography assignments much more like a photojournalist. Whenever I get to the assignment I first think about the safest photo that tells the story but it easy to get. Then with the remaining time (most times there aren't a time limit, but it seemed like everything I did this past week there was) I try to be a bit more artistic.


What I like about this second shot is that it is from an unusual and unnatural angle (unless you are naturally 10 feet tall) that shows pretty much what the whole story was about (the landscape architecture group made two parking spaces into a small park).


I had to take some photos of Fike for the yearbook, and in the past it seems like most of the pictures have just been general pictures of the overview of FIke. So I tried to get some more close up pictures of people working out. These are a few of them.




The reason I was in Fike was to shoot the Orange and White Swimming and Diving meet. (Although this story didn't even run.) I have never taken a lot of pictures of swimming, and it was kinda tough because the action is mostly underwater, or you can't get a good angle on shot and the whole area surrounding the pool is water (which doesn't mesh very well with multi-thousand dollar camera equipment) so there are more than a few considerations when taking pictures at swimming events. But I think that I got some good ones, and as with anything, the more times I shoot in that environment the better the pictures will be.




This one I liked because it was a little artsy with the way that the water splash mimics the motion of the swimmers arm.


I also covered Glenn Beck's performance at Littlejohn Coliseum which was pretty fun, but to avoid a political discussion, I am just going to post these photos and not talk about the performance.



The last story I had for this week was CCIT moving to the library. I figured they would just want a photo of someone behind the help desk helping a student (they actually ended up using a photo of just the guy working behind the computer) but I took the opportunity to take some photos of the people behind the desks and the techies.



Anyway, that is all for this update. Sunday night I will have an update about all the sports that I have been taking these past few days, volleyball and soccer. It's not football but it is something. So, until then,

-joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment